CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Summertime and Baked oatmeal

This past summer we drove up to Long Island. We had several things on our agenda to do. The first was go to the dreaded family wedding, okay you all KNOW exactly what I am talking about. The inevitable so and so is getting married and we HAVE to attend. We packed up and drove 18 long hours to get to the Island. Getting over the cross bronx, finding Brooklyn, looking at the dreary buildings we sure were glad we MOVED OUT, the graffiti alone is enough to bring you into a tailspin of depression. What are these people thinking? How can they LIVE in such a place.
Well this was our "vacation" ( if ya wanna call it that, cause lets face it, a family wedding is no vacaction) so we were determined to make the best of it.
Long Island is known for its beaches, its seafood, the north shore, the south shore and DINERS, yes folks ya got it right DINERS. Well in my mind I am on vacation and if foods a cookin, Helen's a lookin. So first and foremost on vacation to do list is drum roll please ...............
Diner. The second day into our beloved vacay I told hubby we were going to the Diner for breakfast. Yup its been awhile since my lips have been wrapped around a hot cuppa joe from the nearby diner and my tastebuds were ready. We showed up at the break of dawn and slid ourselves into the booth. I look at the menu and something called "BAKED OATMEAL" it sounded different, not something you would order in the summertime but I thought why not. I went ahead and gave my order to the gal. When this steaming bowl of brown yumm yumm arrived with its side of luscious warm cream, I grabbed my spoon, poured the cream on and began eating.
Never in my WILD imagination did I ever expect to experience this perfect combo of pure deliciousness to envelope my mouth. This bowl was chock full of toasty nuts, raisins, cranberries, oatmeal, just a variety of textures to tantalize me. Halfway into my gourmet feast the realization that this bliss would end hit me straight on. I thought I am going HOME in a few days. How in the world am I going to satisfy my new found craving for baked oatmeal. HEHEHHEHEHEHEHE I concocted my plan. I would call the waitress over and ask for it. She arrived at our table and I ever so sweetly began asking for the recipe. She said I'll see what my manager Joe has to say. She came back and said ( IMAGINE a GUM SMACKING YANKEE) Joe said to tell ya he's real sorry he can't give it out. Wait what do you mean he can't give it out, you mean HE'S not going to give it out. Okay folks although I have been southernized for over 11 years I still have enough yankee left to pull out all the stops, I said sweety go get Joe for me whileya? Joe comes over and I begin my best yet effort to finagle this recipe from him, I told him I don't even LIVE around here, I am not in competition with you , please please please can't you share? I batted my lashes and did my everloving best to get it. Do you think I succeeded?
Nope, I could not break Joe.
For the Last 7 months I have tried my best to do without that baked oatmeal. Finally I caved ,I had to at least try to replicate it. I searched high and low and remembered what that warm creamy bowl of deliciousness had in it and I finally found a recipe that I could tweak and here it is
HERE IS THIS BEAUTY
3 c rolled oats
1 c brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinammon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk
2 eggs
1/2 c melted butter
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 c dried cranberries
1/2 raisin
1/2 c chopped pecans/

Mix all dry ingredients first, add eggs and butter and mix well. Spray a nonstick loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Serve hot with warm milk.

This is simply Delicious.

Oh don't ask how the wedding was, the oatmeal was much better

2 comments:

Leslie M. said...

Delish! Love Baked Oatmeal! I'll have to try it!
Leslie
LeslieVeg@msn.com
Leslie Loves Veggies
http://www.leslielovesveggies.net/

Anonymous said...

helenshungryheart.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.